Friday, April 16, 2010

So you want to lose weight?

There are several things I feel are completely vital to gaining success when trying to lose weight. I thought I'd share them with you along with why I think they are so super important. And remember-this is strictly from the book of Karli, so if you don't agree-that's totally your prerogative!

1. Before picture {and subsequent frequent progress pics}: I know this one scares people a lot. Trust me, when I met Zac and I was 215 pounds, the LAST thing I wanted to do was document it in film-form where it would be there forever. Now though, I am so grateful I did that. I can look back and see how far I've come. Since then I've taken probably 4 sets of progress pictures a year; giving me quite a little progress picture portfolio. It hasn't always been pleasurable, but when I can visually see the changes taking place on the outside of my body, it just validates further the changes taking place inside as well. Another BIG reason I strongly encourage people to take a before picture is that I've found most people associate & perceive themselves (physically at least) as they were in high school-or at their prime. For instance, in high school I was always bigger than my girlfriends. I struggled with my weight but didn't care enough to take responsibility to do anything about it-and I didn't have the knowledge to do anything about it either. After I met Zac and lost weight-and even at my most fit & weighing 145-I still had this picture that I was really big. I would stand next to people that were the same size or even bigger than me, but who I'd always looked at as being super small and I would feel big next to them. Obviously this is a flawed thought, but it's how it works. And, it would stand to reason that someone who was super thin in high school and gained weight afterward would have a perception of themselves as thin, so they might have a hard time finding the motivation to lose weight or start living a healthier lifestyle without seeing a picture of where they are right now.

2. Weighing in only once a week {& taking measurements every 4 weeks}: When we weigh ourselves daily, we are destined to be disappointed. Especially with women, our weight varies so much on a daily basis. Whether it's PMS, water retention, or replacing fat with muscle, that scale will change for the better or worse several times daily. Pick one day a week (for me it's Saturday mornings) & weigh yourself only on that day each week. Ideal conditions are as follows: weigh yourself in the nude or the same light clothing each week, weigh upon waking up & before working out/eating, weigh on the same scale (and no others!), and keep track of the number somewhere for record keeping. I know this is a hard one for a lot of people, but if you know you only get one weigh in a week and you are desperately trying to lose (or gain in my husband's case!), you'll work harder to accomplish that goal through the week and I guarantee you'll be excited to see that number!

3. Writing down VERY specific goals: First visualize what you want. Find another person or role model whose body you admire and take or cut out a picture of them to motivate you. It's been researched and proven over and over that a goal that goes unwritten is merely a wish. Zac and I have often sat down together and written down specific goals which we've then posted somewhere we can see them often, we remind each other of them and we achieve them. A specific goal is not: "I want to lose weight." A specific goal is identifying exactly what you want, making a plan on how you'll get it, and setting a timeline of when you'll accomplish it. Set high but realistic goals and go back to them often. Tape them to your mirror, fridge, or steering wheel. Tell others about it and about your timeline so you feel more ownership.

4. Keeping a food journal: I've talked about this before, but writing things down is HUGE for me. I'm a journaler by nature, but it's been proven that people who write down everything they put in their mouths are more aware and more careful. I've found that when I'm not keeping a food journal (as has been the case the past year), I often don't take responsibility for things I put into my mouth because once it's gone, I forget about it. When I'm actively writing down everything I put inside my body, I am more aware of my triggers for overeating, my emotions, and my reasons for eating certain things. I am more careful about the content of the foods I eat, and I make better informed decisions as to what I'll choose in a meal. And, if I have a great weight loss week and then a bad one, I can look back and see what foods made me reach success & which ones held me back. I am a HUGE advocate of this step.

5. Being Accountable: Without accountability, it's easy to justify and lie to ourselves. Without wanting or meaning to, we can just "forget" what we ate, or tell ourselves we'll do better tomorrow. At the very least, tell someone (a friend, coworker, spouse, mom, etc.) what your goals are and when you're starting your new lifestyle. Ideally, get someone to push you. Someone you have to report to by showing them your food journal/pictures/weight, etc., or someone you have to weigh in with weekly. Pick someone who will inspire you and help you visualize where you want to be. Someone you can be completely honest with and who you don't want to disappoint. Someone who will be firm with you when you need it and who will not be a saboteur. Report to this person often-if you have trouble taking the initiative to do this yourself, consider hiring a health coach (aka: me or someone else who coaches) or asking someone to check in on you regularly.

These are five of the most important steps to me in the getting fit spectrum and most of these steps also apply to any goal you want to achieve in life. Good luck achieving your goals!

6 comments:

Nick and Jen said...

Karli...THANK YOU! You just don't know how much I needed to read this post. I haven't checked blogs in awhile and I am so glad that this was one of the first I read. I am REALLY struggling right now. Thank you! One of my biggest struggles are figuring what is good to eat. I don't really know what to cook and eat...you should also do a blog about that! :)

I read through your other posts and have to comment on a couple things...I love aquaphor as well. It works wonders on Julie's ezcema...I only wish I discovered it sooner in her life.

You are GORGEOUS! I love your pictures with your boys! You are really stunning Karli! The boys are so sweet and I love them so much! Beckham looks a lot like you to me! Such cute boys!

Love you Karli and hope that we are able to see each other soon!

Amber said...

LOVE this. So well-written and inspiring.

hillmans said...

Perfect! You are seriously amazing and help me a ton! I appreciate it more than you know~

Athena said...

Karl,

I am thinkin we should do our weightloss blog again. Either start fresh on ours or create a new one...either way see if Amber and Amanda want to join? I started one here in Wyoming with some friends of mine and for some reason it's not as motivating as ours was, just not the same. What do you think? With two kiddos you may not have time for it, but just wanted to see your thoughts.

Kyle and Tiffany said...

These are great tips! Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I've been needing something to motivate me to be more physically active, and I think this was just what I needed to hear.

Gena Susan said...

YES! Exactly what I needed to hear! I've been sick for a month & havent worked out...so...ive gained....THIS was TOTALLY what I needed to hear! Thank you for being inspiring! My "get healthy" weight loss begins today! :) YOu ROCK GIRL! :)