Friday, May 28, 2010

"Arghh...I'n a pirate!"

Tuesday Grayson had an eye appointment with Dr. Lee to check his misalignment and vision again. It'd only been five months since his last appointment, so a little sooner than we usually see her. He was excited to go but said beforehand, "I don't like to lay down at Dr. Lee's." He was referring to last time when they had to lay him down to put the drops in to dilate his eyes. The kid has a REMARKABLE memory & can tell you things from so far back in detail {names, places, experiences, etc.}. Crazy! Anyway, he did awesome! Five months makes a huge difference in being able to test a child's vision. He just did all the tests she had for him and we found there is definitely a difference in his vision between the two eyes. She gave us a couple pieces of news. First, he will definitely have to have another surgery, but not for his ptosis {damaged nerve in his eyelid} this time. It will be to correct his misalignment. Second, to determine when that surgery needs to take place, she wants us to patch his good eye every day for two hours for six weeks to see if it improves it at all. Then we can push the surgery back at that point if it looks good. I was game for that of course, but a little nervous about how he would take to using the patch for 2 hours EVERY day for six weeks! He's constantly surprising me though as he has done great with it. He sometimes says he doesn't like it, but if I keep him occupied enough and busy being distracted with other fun things, he does great. His patches are boyish & cool and he has a chart with stars for a week that he colors in each day when he wears his patch. At the end of each week he'll get to pick out a small treat. He seems pretty motivated by this & tells people that Dr. Lee told him to wear his patch because his dresser fell on his eye....Hmm, don't know where he got this logic as I explained the real reasoning behind the patch, but whatever works! I think he looks pretty dang cute and love when he tells people {and animals for that matter}, "Arghh...I'n a pirate!"

4 comments:

Candace and Brian said...

Such a GOOD little boy!! Hope everything works out.

Sharlee said...

He is such an amazing little boy!! That patch looks so cute on him. What little boy wouldn't want to be a pirate!!

Elizabeth Peterson said...

He is so stinkin adorable! Love the eye patch, if he has a period where he is just not wanting to wear the thing you should wear one with him or have Zac wear one. I bet he would like that!

Kylee said...

That is great he is doing so well with it! Not to mention he looks super cute with it.