Thursday, December 09, 2010

December Daily {5th}: Overnighter

I get to teach sharing time for the month of December which I'm quite excited about since it's one of my very favorite months & I love teaching about the true meaning of Christmas.  And, I love the kids.  I think teaching sharing time will be one of the highlights of this calling, for sure.  The theme today was "Prophets Testified of Jesus Christ's birth."  Such a great way to start off the month & I adore that the children are smarter than me.  For real.  After teaching today I had one of my 8 year old kids raise her hand & say the dreaded two words: "I'm confused..."  Oh no!  Thankfully, my sweet & intelligent sister Kesley was in the room and was able to answer her question more eloquently than me...those kids keep me on my toes.

We were fasting-along with many of our family members & several friends-for Grayson's upcoming surgery, so we went straight home and spent time as a family.  We all got a little nap & just hung out together. Taylor & Talon had given Grayson a gift to get him ready for his surgery: a buzz lightyear operation game.  He loved it & he and I played about 3 rounds this afternoon.  Each time it was his turn I thought to myself how grateful I was that he wouldn't be operating on himself tomorrow! (:  Around 5 we headed to my folks so Grandpa Alan and Zac could give Grayson a blessing {which he kept calling a special prayer}.  When I'd told him earlier in the week that they'd be giving him a blessing to help him have peace during his surgery {we have to prepare this kid for everything well in advance} he said, "NO!  I don't want them to put their hands on my head mom!"  He has a thing with people touching his head.  So, I was a little worried.  But that day, he told his nursery teacher he was getting a blessing and on our way to my parents house, he was talking about it totally fine.  And he was.  So grateful for the priesthood in our lives & in our home.  The whole fam was there and getting ready to have dinner to break our fast.  Uncle Bob also stopped by with a pre-surgery gift for Grayson; a mini combine, tractor, and dump truck.  He was ecstatic & loved it.  It was so thoughtful &  much appreciated by us.  We stayed for a bit and then left baby Beckham with Taylor & Talon who were staying at our house that night and we took Grayson over to Meridian where we were staying the night with Matt & Jen since they only live about 3 minutes from the hospital. 

We got to Matt & Jen's and had a great night.  Cameron-their 14 year old-kept Grayson busy all night and they played together and had a great time.  Cameron gave Grayson his old t-ball helmet & bat which was so sweet.  He is a great kid & so patient & kind.  We had a great time visiting and laughing with M&J and after I got Grayson to sleep, we watched Eclipse.  Good times & a good movie and we were grateful to have M&J & their hospitality.  We ended up having a pretty rough night because Grayson coughed hard during the night and climbed in bed with us.  Before that happened-around 1:30 AM-he woke up and said, "hey mom, you doing okay?"  Totally random, but so like him.  Zac is always checking on me & asking how I'm doing, and I know Grayson has learned to parrot this behavior, which I adore.  Even though it was a long night, I loved the excuse to cuddle Grayson before his surgery.

No comments: