Sunday, February 27, 2011

epiphany.

Recently I had an epiphany-which in reality was a personal revelation experience-but I like saying the word epiphany. 

You may or may not remember my post several months back about our stake conference where the speaker {Elaine Dalton} emphasized the scripture in 1 Samuel 2:30 which says, "They who honor God, God will honor."  It made an impact on me then and has continued to ever since.  We have it hanging in our home and I remind myself of it often. 

A few weeks ago I was driving in the car and thinking how frustrated with myself I was that I struggle so much with just liking myself where I'm at.  I've always expected a lot of myself and know that fact most likely won't change-and a bit of that is even healthy-but I know I need to tone it down a bit as well.  I am not that way at all when it comes to other people {except Grayson & that's another problematic side effect that is a post for another time as I am obviously projecting my self expectations onto him...}, but super hard on myself always, and in every area. 

Lately-indeed my whole life-it's been my physical appearance.  I even feel like I look pretty good, but am not at that goal I set for myself yet & so am feeling like a failure.  {FYI: Totally not looking for pity/compliments/etc. here, just giving you some back-story & needing to journal this for mine & my posterity's sake}.  So back to driving in the car.  I was by myself & talking out loud to God as I often do when I have alone time in the car and it's just quiet.  I was just hashing all this stuff out loud to Him and all of a sudden remembered that scripture, but differently and likened to my situation.  My version said, "If I'm not honoring me, I'm not honoring Thee..."  Whoa.  By always beating myself up, never accepting my best as good enough, sabotaging myself and my efforts to be better, and putting myself down in my head on a consistent basis, I am basically telling Heavenly Father that His work {aka: me} isn't good enough.  It was actually emotional for me as I realized part of my journey to optimal health has to come in honoring myself.  I'll never get there otherwise.  And sadly, it can't come from anyone else.  I know this because I have the best husband/family/friends/blog readers/kids in the world who tell me often how loved and beautiful I am.  I can even sometimes graciously accept their compliments & on rare occurrences feel a glimmer that what they're saying might be true.  But until I feel it & really believe it, it won't happen. 

In some areas this comes easy for me.  For instance, I pretty much really like my personality.  I like the kind of friend I am.  I feel like I try to fulfill my callings & live the gospel the best I can.  I am a decent neighbor, sister & daughter I think.  I fall short often as a wife.  Daily, as a mom.  But usually, it comes down to how I feel about my outward appearance & unfortunately, this affects every.other.area.in.my.life.  It's not even a vanity thing.  It's deeper.  I'm working on it and trying to figure it all out.  And, I know that all answers & healing will come only through my communication with Him and listening to the spirit-whose answers often come in the form of other people in my life- but for now, I'm trying to be better about honoring me, so that I am truly able to honor Him.


And I am inexpressibly grateful for the people He's seen fit to surround me with in this life.

6 comments:

Candace and Brian said...

Thank you for sharing this. I am sincere when I say you are the anchor in my life. The friend God knew I needed. I've been having a lot of out loud conversations with God. I feel so disappointed in myself and am recognizing how many faults I have. I have to stop daily and question my motives and find myself crying often at night for the faulty mother I have been and wife. I'm not saying that fishing either. It's just scary how crummy I feel. Today I too recognized, it's Satan. I do need to try harder DAILY to be a better person but I also need to give God credit for my strengths and make him proud. I read your blog post tonight and as ALWAYS it struck me deep as something I needed to hear. I love you!!!

meg baker said...

Karli- I'm working super hard to have this baby on your birthday. Wouldn't that be awesome! I'm trying not to get my hopes up though because he will probably just come when I'm scheduled:) I figure if I have him on your birthday I will have a very friendly, social, wonderful child right like you? Anywho, just a random thought for the day:)

Kylee said...

You are amazing and thank you for sharing that with us. It was something that I needed to hear after this weekend. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I am always in awe of the fact that you are able to express yourself so beautifully with words.
But you also express yourself beautifully in many other ways, too.
Like the way you treat other people with kindness and love.
Like the way you make a phone call to some random friend you haven't talked to in ages, who you didn't know needed the call (that's a gift of living close to the Spirit).
Like the times you feel pretty rotten physically and still fulfill your church, wife and mommy callings.
And like all the other countless times that you are just...you.
I honestly believe that self-doubt is truly one of Satan's greatest tools and I honestly believe it must tick him off to no end when we don't give in to those thoughts.
Don't get me wrong.
I've had and continue to have LOTS of those moments or days or weeks of feeling less-than-great about myself.
But when I am conscious of it, then I consciously make changes and you're the poster child for doing that so I know you'll figure it out.
As Dori from Finding Nemo said: "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming" and evenutally you'll find your way home.
Love you.

austiemg said...

Karli- you HAVE to read "Made to Crave" - I started reading it a few weeks ago and instantly thought of you...guess I should have said something then! You will love it!

Kyle and Tiffany said...

I love you. I love that you are so real, and can always say what you feel with such clarity. I appreciate your example and words of wisdom!