I dropped Fischer at grandma Wendy's (she's smitten with him-so adorable), and then dropped G & B at Lance's. I took the shortcut road to their house that borders a field & is right next to a cement ditch. After they were settled I headed out. I do not take kid-free trips to town for granted, let me tell you. I was able to chat with Candace on my very slow & FOGGY drive over, spend two of my Christmas gift cards at Ulta & Old Navy, and get groceries at Winco! I swear there are few greater gifts a mom can get than uninterrupted time in town while her kids are being loved on by trusted family or friends.
I headed back home (still very foggy, colder & a bit wet on the roads), dropped off my groceries, picked up Fischer, and we headed to get the big boys. I took the same side road shortcut & put the pickup in 4x4 like before, but right away I could feel a difference from a few hours earlier. I was sliding all over the place & even using the instructions engrained in my brain by my husband & dad on what to do if you're sliding, I couldn't stop or get into the field on my right side. I knew we were going into the ditch & it was the scariest feeling because I was so helpless to stop it. I was praying out loud as we were sliding over & it felt like it was in slow motion-I thought we were going to roll completely over & be upside down. I was trying not to panic with Fischer in the car, but fervently praying out loud. We slid to a stop on my side & I grabbed my phone & called Lance, crying a little bit. He said he'd be right there (they have a long driveway & I was hidden from his view + it was still extremely foggy). I tried opening my door to see if I could squeeze out, but it would only open a couple inches before hitting the ditch. I pulled it closed and talked animatedly to Fischer who was giggling in his sideways seat. (Best baby!!). Lance got there in a hurry (like 3 minutes max) & he had all four boys in boots/coats/plugged in his pickup. Uncle Dean came too which was so sweet. I couldn't crawl out the passenger side easily because it was tipped sideways, so I gave Lance my boots & he grabbed my hand & helped pull me out. I was so worried any movement would send the pickup rolling over with my baby in it! Lance reassured me that wouldn't happen. He helped me get my boots back on & carried me on his back to his pickup because it was super muddy. He got Fischer out & brought him to me, smiling & cooing like crazy-thank goodness, and then He drove me & the littles back to his house, so he could get a tractor. He went back & with Dean's help, pulled the pickup out. There wasn't a scratch on it! I am so grateful it wasn't any more traumatic than it was-it still shook me up quite a bit. I'm thankful for a hundred little things like the fact that my cell was charged & had service, that lance answered my call, that I have a capable brother who could save me, and that Fischer is such a happy baby & too small to have any memory of the incident, that my big boys weren't with me, and that no one was hurt.
I gave Lance a big hug, told him I loved him & we headed home (we did not take the shortcut, nor will I ever again!). Seriously big shout out to my sweetheart brother who kindly watched my two big boys for four hours (they had a blast with their cousins & uncle) & then pulled me out of a ditch. Love you, Lancey!
Even though it was a minor thing in the big scheme of things, and everything is fine, I keep reliving it in my head & also what could have been. So scary! I'm going to bed very thankful tonight.
1 comment:
He is a keeper! Glad you were all safe. Hey I like the posts:)
Post a Comment