Thursday, February 02, 2012

Some things Hurt

My sweet mama had to have surgery on her shoulder on the 2nd.  The night before she was set to go into surgery, she sent dinner home for my family.  What a woman, right?  The surgery went well and they scraped off some bone spurs and told her she had to do therapy every day for a week.  Sent her home and we went to visit her later that day.  It's awful seeing your parents deal with any sort of pain, and this wasn't an exception.  She is a trooper, but I could tell she was hurting.  Therapy has not been fun for her and although it's helping, it's extremely painful and challenging.  She had so much support for which we're grateful.  We're still very careful to be gentle with her, thankful everything went alright, and hope it helps the problems & pain she'd been having before.   {Another random thought: Dad took the first two pics at the hospital & I'm so glad he captured them.  There is something about seeing her hands that just about brings me to tears.  She has the tiniest & most petite hands/fingers/wrists ever, and they have always been beautiful to me because they represent work, love, and compassion.  Seeing them hurting just pierced my heart.  So grateful for these hands.}
On the 9th we were visiting Grami and Grandpa and the boys were playing downstairs by Aunt Doll.  I heard Grayson start crying-his pain cry-and he ran upstairs holding his thumb which was bleeding underneath the fingernail.  I hate those times as a mom when they're running to you and you're preparing yourself to see blood or cuts or anything...then you do & it's kinda gross, but you have to be the one to deal with it calmly.  He was pretty sure he was dying and having a tough time, so much that he had a bit of an accident, so Grandpa Alan gave him a tshirt to wear while he built him a Lego jeep.  Grayson started out pretty upset, watching & crying.  He'd stop crying for a second to say something like, "I'll never feel better."  "Now I can only use one hand from now on."  "I'll not eat anything till it's better."  "You can't do anything to help me cause it just hurts really bad still."  "Suddenly it doesn't hurt so much."  Haha.  After half an hour or so & watching Grandpa make an awesome Lego jeep & occupying himself with Grami & her ipad, he felt much better.  He cracks me up when he tells people about it.  My parents were quick to point out that I was as dramatic if not more than Grayson in regards to pain as a kid, so I shouldn't be so hard on him.  I have quite a high pain tolerance now, so there is hope for him.  Let me just end by saying I'm glad it wasn't something more serious & I highly dread any form of injury when it comes to Grayson. (:  And, he's all better now & proud of his war wound from last week.

3 comments:

Candace and Brian said...

So glad your Mom is doing well. I hope she continues to heal and bounch back quickly. I know what you mean about watching your parents, or any loved one, in pain. Sorry but I laughed out loud with the Grayson post. Especially the pics that occupied the cute sayings. I love that kid!

Denise said...

Looks like you're mom is feeling better after surgery! Happy 49th birthday to you! If I can look 1/2 as good as you when I reach your age, I will be one happy woman!!! Happy day, glad you were sent to Nyssa to inspire so many people!

Anonymous said...

Not sure I'm loving the hospital pics, but that's how it was and I guess I can remember it better that way. I will be glad when I get feeling more back to normal. Like dad always says: "It'll feel better after it stops hurting!" He's a funny one!